4 Tips for Caring for Teeth with Braces
Braces are used when the person needs to have their teeth corrected in placement. There are several times that a person may suffer with crooked teeth that affects their bite, their teeth may have not come into the correct areas within the mouth and the like. These are all situations in which braces can be used to correct. For those who have braces, they are going to immediately notice that this will require them to take care great care of their teeth while these braces are on.
Foods to Avoid
Now that you have braces, one of the biggest aspects to remember is that there are certain foods that you cannot eat. Why? These foods can damage the braces or the teeth, resulting in more dental care being needed. Here are a few foods to avoid:
1. Anything that is hard. For example, chips, popcorn, nuts, beef jerky, hard candies, pretzels, and hard fruits. Note that you can eat fruits, but these must be cut into very small pieces before eating.
2. Avoid food that is sticky or chewy like gummy bears, peanut butter, caramel or dried fruits.
3. Minimize the sugar such as that found in cake, candy, ice cream, pie and soda. These are going to make the bacteria grow on the teeth, resulting in more plaque around the brackets on the braces.
Tips for Care
For those who have braces, we have 5 tips for caring for your teeth with these braces on. These tips are:
1. Brush your teeth after every meal. This is to ensure that the braces and teeth are free of debris.
2. Rinse your mouth with water before brushing to help dislodge the food that may be stuck in the braces.
3. Drink plenty of water as braces can cause you to get dry mouth. Remember, saliva is something that helps to remove the bacteria in the mouth.
4. Adjust your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to help clean around the brackets and get more of the tooth. Remember, you want to ensure that your teeth are clean and not stained to avoid spots on the teeth from where the brackets were placed.
If you do have braces, routine appointments with your 50266 dentist can be great to answer any questions and find any issues before they become major problems!